Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

I'm a big fan of editing and keeping only the interesting bits in. - Sarah Vowell

If only completing the task of editing could be a simple one.

Working with my Content Editor, whom I absolutely adore (Ciar Cullen), with Decadent Publishing, I've learned a lot about both myself and my writing. When I received the first round of edits back from her, she was kind enough to write a really long and encouraging email, bracing me for the cold hard truth of the edits to come. After reading the email twice in its entirety, I took a deep breath and opened my manuscripts.

There were most likely thousands of edits, and almost four hundred comments. Talk about a daunting task. But instead of pouting as we are prone to do, I held my head high and dove in with both hands. Some of the comments stung, some made me laugh, but more than anything, reading them made me grow as a writer. I know I'm not perfect, nor do I pretend to be, but the whole experience was very humbling.

It took me three solid days of mulling over every comment, making corrections where needed, adding in places, and as an overall beefing up my manuscript. To say the least, the entire experience was exhausting, yet a good road to travel. I learned more about myself and my writing than I ever hoped to know. Afterwards, it only took one small final round before the manuscript went to my Line Editor.

Two small rounds of edits with my Line Editor later, Pillars In Time is now with the Sr. Editor for final review. I've been given a release date of March 2nd. It's so close I can taste it. It makes all the hard work with my editor pay off. I cannot wait for Pillars In Time to be released to the public, and am looking forward to the feedback I'll receive.

In the end, I think the only reason why I survived the daunting task of editing is because I went in with an open mind. My Editor does what she does for a reason and I'm glad for her pushing me as far as she did.

So, when faced with the overwhelming task of editing, remember it will serve to only keep the interesting bits in, and throw out the garbage. You're manuscript will be better for it.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, we have the same content editor!

    Edits are often daunting, but what helps me through the process is knowing the person giving me comments truly wants my book and me to succeed.

    Good luck with containing the excitement until your release! (I have 3 weeks longer to wait!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So close! Always like hearing about the editing process for others. When I first got mine it was pretty tough. And sometimes what you think works, they don't ;-)

    So did you say "no" to any edits? Shhh! But there are times you can do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You done good, babes. And BTW, I have my own edits coming this week. I'll reread this post to get some inspiration :o)

    ReplyDelete